Making owl-like sound (only raspier)

English language about Cavies / Guinea pigs. All categories.

Redaktør: Redaktører

Besvar
zizou86

Making owl-like sound (only raspier)

Indlæg af zizou86 »

Hi!
I'm Norwegian, and just to make sure I'll present the case correctly, I'll write this in English:
My girlfriend's guinea pig went to the vet about a week ago to get neutered. He got an infection from that, causing the area around the cut to swell up. Back to the vet, got Bactrim (antibiotics) to treat him. Now I'm looking after the pig while my girlfriend is away. Been treating him for a few days (in the meantime I had to move him to a new flat, my flat). Tonight he's been starting to make a weird sound while breathing, a hoarse wheezing sound, almost like an owl, only raspier. His eyes and nose look good and clear. I've been reading up on guinea pigs and their symptoms and possible diseases now, and I'm of course afraid it might be a URI. But as I said: eyes and nose are fine, and he's taking Bactrim, which is what I guess the vet would prescribe if it was a URI. He's eating, drinking and pooping regularly too. Actually he hadn't been drinking all day, but right now he is. Also, there has been a slight draught in this new apartment. I've been able to shut it off now, after hearing his breathing.

Any ideas what it might be? Is it likely that he got a URI even while already taking antibiotics? I'm really afraid that my girlfriend's g. pig is going to die after just a few days of my supervision:(
PS. Right now it got even raspier and louder for a while, until he suddenly made another weird sound, almost like a cat coughing up a wet hairball...

Brugeravatar
Lina
Mutteforumjunkie :-)
Geografisk sted: 3rd rock from the sun
Kontakt:

Re: Making owl-like sound (only raspier)

Indlæg af Lina »

URI???

Sounds like pneumonia, and I'd go to the vet to see if more or different antibiotics are needed.
Der findes kun 10 slags mennesker:
Dem, der forstår det binære talsystem. Og dem, der ikke forstår det.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person
Billede Billede Billede
Billede Billede Billede
Billede Billede Billede
Sweet Leaf - Kugge.dk - Fotoguide For Dummies - Pixel's Side

Nikoline

Indlæg af Nikoline »

I would also take the pig to the vet.. I agree with Lina; it sounds like he's got pneumonia, which makes sense considering the draft, you are talking about.
Good thing, you were able to shut it off.

Brugeravatar
Kjelin
Geografisk sted: Roskilde, Sjælland
Kontakt:

Indlæg af Kjelin »

URI is an Upper Respiratory Infection
/Malene Kjelin Morsing
Kjelins Opdræt af Sheltier
Billede

Nikoline

Indlæg af Nikoline »

Er det så k halsbetændelse? Eller også i den øvre del af lungerne?

Besvar